7 Tips To Keep Calm & Travel Smart
Travelling soon? Here are some tips that you may find helpful.
1. Make your overseas card purchases using the local currency of that country
So you can avoid additional exchange rate fees, which the merchants may impose if you pay in SGD.
2. Skip the money changer queues. Exchange your foreign currencies online with the Multi-Currency Account.
With the enhanced Multi-Currency Account feature, you can
- Exchange up to 12 foreign currencies online, at your preferred rates
- Use your linked DBS Visa Debit Card to make foreign currency transactions when you’re overseas. No foreign exchange fees incurred!
Your foreign currency transactions will be debited directly from the respective foreign currency wallet in your MCA. Learn more.
3. Enable your card’s magnetic stripe^ for overseas use, only during your travel period
You may wish to enable the auto-activation magstripe feature on DBS Lifestyle app. This feature will detect your phone’s location and automatically activate the magnetic stripe when you’re travelling and deactivate when you’re home, providing convenience for your travel and added security for your Card transactions.
Simply log in to DBS Lifestyle app > More > Card Services > Activate Card for Overseas Use > Turn on Auto Activate/Deactivate > Select your preferred Card > Tap "<" on top left corner to save your settings
Don’t have DBS Lifestyle app?
Alternatively, you can also do so via
- digibank app: Log in > Card Services > Allow Card’s Magnetic Stripe for Overseas Use.
- SMS to 77767: Enable <space> overseas <space> card’s last 4 digits <space> start date <space> end date E.g.: Enable overseas 1234 15052016 31052016
4. Request for a temporary limit increase on your credit card*
This extra credit will come in handy, in case of emergencies.
Click here to apply now.
5. Buy travel insurance
So you can travel with peace of mind. Check for the latest promotion here.
6. Keep copies of important documents
Make sure you have copies of your passport, travel insurance policy and credit cards, in case of an emergency.
7. Know what to do if your card gets lost or stolen
If you lose your DBS/POSB card overseas, make a report by calling us at +65 6339 6963. You will not be liable for any fraudulent transactions on your lost/stolen card from the time you notify us.
^Tip! Some merchants in countries including US, Japan and South Korea may not accept EMV chip cards, hence you may wish to have your card's magnetic stripe enabled to facilitate your card transactions. However for your protection when in Singapore, it is recommended that you disallow the magnetic stripe on your card(s) from overseas use. Learn more.
*The request is subject to the bank's approval.
Deposit Insurance Scheme
Singapore dollar deposits of non-bank depositors and monies and deposits denominated in Singapore dollars under the Supplementary Retirement Scheme are insured by the Singapore Deposit Insurance Corporation, for up to S$50,000 in aggregate per depositor per Scheme member by law. Monies and deposits denominated in Singapore dollars under the CPF Investment Scheme and CPF Minimum Sum Scheme are aggregated and separately insured up to S$50,000 for each depositor per Scheme member. Foreign currency deposits, dual currency investments, structured deposits and other investment products are not insured.