Self Certification on Tax Residency Status

Frequently Asked Questions

I am unable to proceed or complete my online submission, how can I certify my tax residency information?

You can mail us your completed self-certification form and provide a copy of the documents required.

For our DBS Treasures clients, you can also mail us your completed IRS W-8BEN or W9 forms.


How do I determine my jurisdiction of tax residency?

If you have questions on how to determine your jurisdiction of tax residence, you can:

  1. Refer to the Rules Governing Tax Residence published by the different jurisdictions for information on the respective jurisdiction's tax residency rules;
  2. Check with the tax authority of the jurisdiction which you think you may be a tax resident. (e.g. If you have stayed in Country A for more than 6 months, you can seek a confirmation from the tax authority of Country A on whether you are regarded as its tax resident for the tax year); or
  3. Consult a tax advisor.
I encountered this error message "This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. Thank you.". What should I do?

Please ensure that you have entered the correct Singapore NRIC /Malaysian IC or Foreigner Passport Number and Date of Birth (as per the Bank’s record) and try resubmitting the online self-certification.

Alternatively, for all other issues, you can troubleshoot by ensuring the following:

  • Use a desktop browser to submit your online self-certification.
  • Your address and/or personal details are up to date with the Bank. You may update your particulars here.


What is Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)?

FATCA is a regulatory requirement for tax authorities to obtain financial account information of US Persons. To learn more on this, please visit Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).


What is the Common Reporting Standard (CRS)?

The CRS is an internationally agreed standard for automatic exchange of financial account information in tax matters, endorsed by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

For more information, please visit the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) page.

Explore more